Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sunday Supper and First Cousins


Sunday Night Suppers have become a custom in my family.  It all started with my sister, LuAnn.  She is a lover of family first and second, an entertainer extraordinaire. Several years ago she lived in the San Francisco Bay Area of California as did my son, Sam, and his wife.  As they were the only family each other had in the area, they wanted to make it a point to connect on a regular basis.  Of course, they all had extremely busy lives.  Sunday night seemed to be the only time that commitments were fewer.  And it was a way to have something to look forward to on Sunday other than the dreaded, Monday. Within a few years, my nephew, Loren, moved to the area as well, and Sunday Suppers included another cousin. Those of us left back home in North Dakota weren't about to be left out!  We created Sunday Suppers of our own with brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews and aunts and uncles and cousins to continue the tradition . (Not every Sunday, but we aim for at least once a month.)
   Anyway, this past Sunday Lenny and I were invited to my Aunt Ardy's home for Sunday Supper.  Her oldest daughter, Diane, was
visiting from Oregon.  There were several first cousins around the table.

 (First cousins are myself, my brother, Darrel sitting next to me, Colleen in the yellow shirt and Diane in the black bouse.)

My Aunt Ardy is the lovely woman in the peach blouse.  Since we all share the same grandparents and great-grandparents what makes   this gathering extraordinary is that her home is the original  homestead of our great-grandparents (with some up-grades!). I like to think the ancestors are hovering around the table, delighted with each one of us and thrilled about us being together, sharing old and new stories, and laughing so hard that water comes out of our eyes. 

These Sunday Supper connections are priceless!  (And the food is good, too.)

3 comments:

  1. I love that!

    We do Sunday Suppers now as well, ever since Maria and Eric moved to Casper. It's WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful tradition you started! I bet those meals make very one feel connected...and happy about it. I would like to have something going on like that as my kids get older....
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    enjoy your dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's soooo important for families to have traditions! And the older I get, the more I realize we need to evaluate them from time to time to make sure we are contining ones that work and not those that are dreaded obligations. And we elders can foster an atmosphere of love and harmony so the traditions hold good memories. Not an easy task, but that's why we elders get this assignment I guess! I love you and feel honored to be mentioned in your blog. Miss you so...and wish I was sitting there with you now. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete