Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Salty Sal

Now, I'm not a religious person, but I do attend a Lutheran church service every now and then just to hear what the preachers are saying these days and to see who is and isn't there.  Let me tell you, there are a few things that need changing- (besides Gladys Hanson's polyester pantsuit). What's up with singing all 7-8 verses of a hymn? It's painful. 1 or 2 verses of "Just as I Am"  is enough of sin and sadness. So few people are singing that if the pastor with the good voice isn't there to keep things going there is as much enthusiasm as a left-over hotdish from last Sunday's potluck. Now I love a good hymn and a verse or two is good for the soul, but must every verse and chorus be sung?  Most hymns get the message accross in the first and possibly, the second verses.  After that it's just blah, blah, blah.  I doubt if anyone is paying attention to the words, they just want it to stop.  I was about to give up hope for relief of the monotony in verse 5 when a curly-headed toddler came frolicking down the center aisle.  His velcro strapped sneakers were clopping on the hard-wood floors and he was joyfully singing a hymn of his own making.  I noticed a few of the parishioners in the pews around me giving each other "the look", and I knew they were thinking that this toddler should be restrained, that he should be forced to sit still and be quiet or be taken out.  Well, I for one, was tickled and thrilled with this show of enthusiasm and joy and life. After all, if we don't welcome the young ones who is going to make ham buns for my funeral? I say bring the little children to church and let them make a racket.  It beats 8 verses of  "Rock of Ages".

2 comments: