Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4, 2012

Dear Diary, It's the 4th of July today.  We stayed up late last night watching the neighbors' fireworks and blasting off some of our own.  I slept in this morning past 9:00.  That's unusual for me and it felt good.  After some morning relaxation we set to working outside in the yard.  It reminded me of the 4th of July when I was a child.  Since this holiday is smack dab in the middle of summer and at the height of hay-making season, it wasn't a day off on the farm.  It was a work day like any other except we got to quit a bit early to light some fireworks.  You know, things like sparklers, parachutes, bottle rockets, and the like.  None were as spectacular as they are now.  Last night the entire sky was lit up with a zillion colors shooting every which way.  A squiggle of light would shoot up the sky at lightning speed and suddenly erupt in a fountain of bright, shiny colors that would then turn into silver stars.  How do they do that?  Who makes these magical sticks of cardboard and powder and how in the world is it done so that each one is so different?  I found myself thinking that I would have to google it.  That's magical too, in my way of thinking (googling, that is).  It's said that children go through a stage of magical thinking.  Where they don't know there are simple laws of physics such as gravity and sound waves and heat and light that we human beings operate under. I still feel that way--if I can't fathom how something works it seems magical to me. Thus, my world is quite magical! 

1 comment:

  1. I remember when you talked about the magic of your garage door opener. You said it made you feel like a queen. I love that you appreciate the little magical things!

    ReplyDelete