Saturday, June 30, 2012

Retiring the Colors

Since we came back to North Dakota 4 years ago I've been working at the CancerCare Center. The dress code has been scrubs of any color or design. Since we're a hospital based clinic we follow hospital policies. Starting this Monday, July 2, the dress code is changing.  The nurses all have to wear a solid color. It's a national trend, evidence based, to improve patient satisfaction by helping patients identify nurses, from say, the cleaning person or the nutrition services person. The nurses voted last fall to determine the color.  Dark gray was chosen over royal blue, hunter green, or burgandy. I have mixed feelings.  When I was a young nurse many years ago, I wore all white.  Gray is a step above that.  We can wear colored shirts under the gray, however I am most always too warm to wear layers at work.  I think it's interesting how things change, go to an extreme that isn't sustainable and then come back to the beginning. Rational thinking is really more in the middle.  Anyway, last evening after supper I cleaned my closet of all colored scrubs--leaving LOTS of room for new clothes.  Yesterday I wore a bright and colorful mismatched scrub outfit to work. I told my fellow nurses I was starting the process of color-grieving.

                               

                                                          Out with the old...


                                      In with the new.


The rebel in me is going to wear turquoise shoes!  

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry...dark grey is depressing. who was voting??? If you have the big C or any other chronic disease, you want your caregivers uplifting and full of hope and life.... not dreary and sad. I would definitely rebel. Please show your true self and paint daisies on your shoes like you did at GHS?! Love you so much Sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shoes! When I worked in New Mexico a new DON decided to have nurses and aides be color-coded. Previously nurses were to solid tops and aides wore prints, although they didn't really follow through. Anyway, nurses were given a chance to vote, as were aides. The nurses voted in royal blue and the aides voted in navy blue. After a few washes we were all pretty much the same. Patients and visitors never did figure it all out. The idea was good but the details were ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete