Sunday, December 4, 2011

Salty Sal

I just came from the grocery store where the crowds were moving at snail pace and grocery cart collisions and pile ups were occuring in every aisle. Having to negotiate the aisles with 3/4 of the customers parked in front of various shelves talking on their cell phones or texting takes time. It used to be you could grab a can of tomato sauce and move on. Now it takes 10 or 15 minutes and a phone call to decide between the 8 or 9 kinds of tomato sauce. Do I want the sauce with the garlic and onion, the Italian sauce, the Mexican sauce, the sauce with basil and olive oil or the original? Stopping to make these weighty decisions slows everyone down. And that's just the tomato sauce aisle. Just wait until you get to the rice aisle. People, please just grab the 'original' (if you can find it) and add your own onion and garlic at home. There aren't that many people in the fresh fruits and vegetables section! Then to add to the mayhem every other cart is equipped with a colorful plastic extension of some sort for children to ride in. Now, I do agree that putting your child in one of these contraptions is better than letting them run amuck, but it's near impossible to scoot down the cereal aisle to pick up my 'original' oatmeal when these shopping cart SUV's are parked every which way in front of the Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms.
Thank goodness they were having a wine tasting at the liquor store as I needed to calm my nerves. No children's shopping carts in there, but it did take some time to decide between the Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Merlot or Reisling. Oh hell, who am I kidding? I picked up one of each.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutly HATE the SUV shopping carts!! Shane however LOVES them! The things we do for our kids......but I do more often then not say "they are icky" or "oh no look it's broken!!" to avoid the clumsy push around the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete